Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Toxic Shore

Being that I had a few days off, I was able to indulge in some experiments! Check 'em out after the jump.


Toxic Shore

This is basically a hodge-podge of new colors obtained over the Christmas weekend... At first, there wasn't a clear design in my mind (and based on the pictures you may think there still wasn't! ha), but I think it wound up looking pretty cool.

All pictures were taken in natural light, with a legit camera instead of my phone. HA. Anyways...

This is Nails Inc. Houses of Parliament magnetic polish, layered with Wet'n'Wild "Shield" & "Rustic" from one of the craze collections.

The way it turned out, it looks like the purple is a clearly polluted body of water, with the "rustic" deposits of sludge along the shoreline, and the gold "Shield" color being the sand.

It reminded me of one of the bodies of water in StarFox, like on MacBeth or Venom.

The magnetic polish makes it look like the "water" is really flowing! That turned out so cool, I think. The lighter brushes of Rustic (particularly on my ring finger) remind me of a layer of foam that sometimes lingers on the sand after a wave breaks and recedes. That faint trace is still there, even though most of the foam has already gone back out.

I always polish my right hand first (excuse the cuts along my cuticles), so at this point I hadn't realized what I was making. Some of these are more a "shoreline"/accidental diagonal French manicure. Blah.


I only did a swirl of the magnetic polish across my left thumb and pinkie - it was meant to look like a rivulet of left-behind water when a tide rolls out, and is slowly making its way back to the big body of water. Next time I'll use a nail art brush to accomplish this.

Not the most perfect interpretation of a toxic body of water, but not too bad for messing around, I think!

Shield & Rustic are such gorgeous colors, I'm really glad to have been able to pick them up while I was in a supermarket recently. I've only ever seen the remnants of this collection at Five Below on clearance, so this was surprising, since not many stores stock this collection anymore?

This was a fun manicure to do. The idea was a bit abstract, and also came out that way - but also, what body of water actually has borders of super straight lines, no particulates of any kind, or random patches of earth/sand/stone?

I hope you enjoyed reading this and looking at the pictures as much as I enjoyed just messing around with polish on Christmas night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!! Feel free to leave a comment, constructive criticism, a thought, or even a hello - I will read and respond to all! Please be considerate of others in your responses.

If your comment is unrelated to the post, please email me.